Office Pro Plus sometimes gives an error message like one of the screenshots above when trying to activate. The steps in this document should complete the Office activation and prevent any future activation issues.
1. Close all Office applications.
2. Click Start > type cmd in the search bar > right-click on the Command Prompt program > click Run as Administrator.
3. Enter the following text at the command line then press Enter. Note: the first line is for 32-bit Office and the second line is for 64-bit Office.
cd “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office15\”
cd “%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office15\”
4. Enter the following text at the command line then press Enter: cscript ospp.vbs /act
You should see a notice that says “Product Activation Successful” as shown above. If the product activation fails you will need to close the command prompt window then run Word as administrator by right-clicking on Word 2013 from the programs menu > click Run as Administrator > click Allow if any security prompts appear > return to step 1.
5. Clear the browsing history and cache by opening Internet Explorer then clicking the gear icon > Internet Options > under Browsing History click Delete > check the box for Preserve Favorites website data, Temporary Internet Files and website files, Cookies and website data, and History > click Delete.
6. Reset Internet Explorer settings by clicking on the Advanced tab in the Internet Options window > click Reset under Reset Internet Explorer Settings > click Reset again in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings window.
7. Close Internet Explorer and any other open programs then restart the machine.
8. Open any Office application to ensure the red error message no longer appears. At this point Office Pro Plus should be successfully activated. If the red error message still appears gather screenshots and further details so further troubleshooting can be performed.
9. Ensure that the computer is connected to the internet for several hours at least once every couple of weeks. This is the best way to ensure that Office Pro Plus stays activated and does not enter Reduced Functionality Mode.